Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day Three - Versailles

Saturday took us to Versailles. We were going to go Monday, but fortunately Aaron looked up and found that it was closed on Mondays, so we changed our plans a little bit and headed up to Versailles. I don't really know what to say about Versailles, other than it was Versailles. It was large and extravagent. We have a Paris museum pass, which saved our butts yesterday, otherwise we probably would have stood in line to get in for over an hour, possibly two by the looks of the line. If I would have had to do that, I probably would have been totally disguisted by the place. I'm not a huge fan of waiting in lines. But luckily we didn't have to do this, and we enjoyed our time there.
The Queen's room, which happens to be where 19 of the royal children were born. Also to the left of the bed, there is a door where Marie Antoinette escaped through on October 6 (don't remember the year) when the peasants stormed Versailles.
The next is the famous hall of mirrors where many balls and important events took place. Also,the Treaty of Paris was signed in this room.

The gardens of Versailles
After Versailles we took the train back to Paris and then rested for a bit, and then went back to the Arc De Triomphe, and this time made it to the top. My legs burned a lot more this time up than they did last time. Hmmm.....out of shape maybe? Although I have to say I still did better than some people my age that we saw go up. It did make me feel a little bit better.

So I know I could probably post a better picture from the Arc, however, the most amusing thing from the top, was watching the drivers go around. There were no lanes, and as far as the rules went, I don't think they had any rules, everyone looked like they just did whatever they wanted to do, and horns were constantly blaring.


1 comment:

Kim said...

Cool - I really liked Versailles. And I love the pic at the top of the Arc de Triumphe! It says alot. :)