Monday, January 26, 2009

Children are special people too

Even though Aaron and I don't have any children yet, I am lucky enough to get to be around kids quite a bit. And I have to say that I feel very priveleged because of this. I feel this way this week in particular. Kids are so much smarter and more perceptive than what we adults give them credit for. I have a little girl on my caseload and I went and visited her on Friday and we were sitting and talking, and some of the things she said just blew me away. She is only six. She was telling me about how much she loved being in her foster home because she gets food and attention, but she misses her mom and her brothers and she wants to go home. She then began telling me about how she is confused by this and asked if there was room in heart for both of her "moms" or if her heart wasn't big enough yet because she was only six. Oh my goodness, at that point I wanted to cry and give her a big hug. She was very serious, and I was blown away by how smart she is. I assured her that her heart was big enough for both her mom and her foster mom, and she seemed very happy to have a heart big enough for both of them.

I also teach primary at church, and I have to say I love it. I taught primary after Aaron and I got married, but this time it is different. I think I learned a lot while being Relief Society president, and I can see how my experiences there are helping me in primary. I have to say I love my calling. I think it is such a privilege to teach children. They are like little sponges. (When they are listening that is.) And yes, we struggle with that as well. Yesterday though was a great day, and I think the children actually learned something from my lesson and had fun. I have been reminded a time or two how smart children really are. One little boy made a comment a couple of weeks ago, that was very perceptive and I don't think an adult could have done a better job at answering the question. It was amazing. These children are so special, and I am so happy to have the opportunity to be their primary teacher. I know Heavenly Father loves them and is vitally interested in their growth and happiness, and we as adults need to do our best to take care of them.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I'm sure you experience alot of these moments with your work! Josh and I were released from primary just about a month ago, and it really was a neat calling - especially when the kids come up a year later and still say hi to you or get excited to see you.

And of course, we love our kids too. :)

Christina said...

Yesterday must have been a great day in primary for everyone! I didn't know you weren't RS Pres anymore!

Chelle said...

Marjean, thank you for this post. I was glad to hear your perspective about children, and all I can say is those kids you work with are so lucky to have you helping them. So many people don't recognize children as worth much and it's so refreshing to realize they are SO smart, and insightful, and they are like little sponges. I need to remember that more often. Thank you for reminding me. I'm so glad to know you Marjean you're such a great person!

Anonymous said...

You are such a great person. I think the kids you work with are blessed, because you truly care. If only their parents did. I agree, being a Primary teacher is challenging sometimes, but very rewarding. Why don't we adults learn more from children?